Thursday 13 August 2015

When we miss home...

Walking barefoot on the beach
 My friend Sue asked me this morning if I am missing home. Home being Cape Town, until I sold my house there (the new owner took it over on the 1st August, just the other day). Now I'm not actually sure where home is.

The answer? Well, yes. Of course I am. But now that I'm allowing myself to think about it, what do I miss the most?

Some things that spring to mind:

  1. Internet. Wherever you go in Cape Town, you are connected. And I am sure it is cheaper there too. Here, it is come and go. Today, thanks to the rain, it is a go.
  2. Parking. Back home, whatever it is that I am wanting to buy, I can find a shop that sells it relatively nearby, get into my car, drive there, and park. Or walk! And when I visit friends, no matter where they live, I can park either on the property, or on the street outside their front door.
  3. Distances. Everything important is so close to home. Under 15km. I used to find myself putting aside a whole day if I needed to get to the northern suburbs, or even Fish Hoek/Simonstown. Anything over 25km seemed a long drive. Whereas now: Cambridge from Southampton? No problem! Be there in 4 hours, have a cold beer waiting, please.
  4. Spontaneity: I miss popping up the road for a cocktail with my friends. Or a coffee, sushi, a walk on the beach or up the mountain. Spur of the moment. 
  5. My family - always up for any of the above, although my mum was always a better drinking buddy than my boys. Not sure where I went wrong with them, when I order a beer, they have milkshakes.... and they're both in their twenties...
  6. My neighbour Nick. The sound of his guitar through the walls when he practised. "Hi Margs" from over the wall if we were both hanging out the washing or working in our gardens. The ever ready bottle of red if I'd run out. And if I cooked too much dinner, he was always happy to share. 
  7. My cats.... who are now happily ensconced at Nick's place next door.
  8. Music. There is  something musical happening within 15 minutes from home, in pretty much any direction. From Concerts in the Park as we picnic on lawns under trees, Kirstenbosch Summer Concerts in the shadow of the mountain in the country's most beautiful garden, to jamming in a local pub or even an international band at the nearby Green Point Stadium.
  9. Rugby. It is just not the same, watching it on my phone, alone, in between calls for commode assistance...
  10. Familiarity: At home, I knew where to find information, or who to ask. I always knew someone who knew something about anything. Here, I've had to try figure it all out, and I am still doing that. But getting there... 
See, not too morbid a post, this. I am slowly building up a network of quality friends here. And I did feel at home from day one; I love how things just work here.

 I am fairly sure that feeling homesick is something we share. What is it about the place you left behind that you miss the most? Would you go back? I am determined to spend at least a month every year in Cape Town. And all the things I've listed above will still be there...



1 comment:

Deborah said...

Having a missing New Zealand moment now.. I miss familiarity, popping into see friends and family. Being accepted for who you are. Everyone can understand what I am saying! The fresh food, wine and enjoying the company you are sharing it with smile emoticon. Just a few of my favourite things.Having a missing New Zealand moment now.. I miss familiarity, popping into see friends and family. Being accepted for who you are. Everyone can understand what I am saying! The fresh food, wine and enjoying the company you are sharing it with smile emoticon. Just a few of my favourite things.